Can out-of-town people who do not hold a Shanghai household registration apply for private passports in Shanghai?

Out-of-towners who have worked longer than a year in a sino-joint venture, cooperative business, exclusively foreign-owned enterprises in Shanghai or the Shanghai office of an overseas institution can apply for a private passport in Shanghai if they are leaving the country in the course of their duties.