Jing'an Temple was built in 247 during the period of the Three Kingdoms (220-265). It was called Huduchongyuan Temple then and renamed Jing An Temple in 1008 of the Song Dynasty. In 1216 of the Southern Song Dynasty, it was moved from the north bank of the Wusong River to its present site.
Having experienced a lot of damage and reconstruction, the three-day temple fair is held on the eighth day of the fourth lunar month every year. From 1999, the temple has undergone major reconstruction. The Main Hall, the Hall of Maitteya, the Hall of Three Sages and other areas have been restored. The temple contains Zhenyan Sect (Esotericism) altars, areas for chanting the scriptures, and a memorial for Dade Chisong, the master of the Zhenyan Sect. Some ancient cultural relics,such as the stone stele inscribed by the Emperor of the Song Dynasty, and a big bell made in the Ming Dynasty, are still well preserved. The temple is also renowned for its vegetarian meals, and provides a vegetarian diet for Buddhist disciples and tourists both from home and abroad.
Address:1686 West Nanjing Road, Shanghai
No.2 Metro Line, Bus 21,825,37,62,562,838,40,57,15,20,45,71,76,93,94,113,138,506,824,830,831,921,927,925,939,and airport shuttlebus No.6